Study during Corona
Read the FAQ's about study information events, admission and study at ArtEZ during Corona.
- to FAQ Corona
Admission requirements Illustration Design
- Pre-university education (VWO), upper general secondary education (HAVO), secondary vocational education (MBO: level 4) or equivalent.
- International students must meet certain language requirements.
- Positive result for the entrance examination. In this exam, we assess your chances of successfully completing the course.
You can apply for the Illustration Design course via Studielink. When enroling in Studielink, you pick a date for the entrance examination. You will then receive information about the entrance examination, the related home assignment(s) and the questionnaire (CV form) by e-mail. You will also receive an e-mail containing a home assignment and a link to an online questionnaire.
What we test
- Your creative capacity: the ability to express yourself evocatively, to work from the perspective of perception and conceptually. You have insight into and a sense of colour, form and material. Your work expresses individuality and originality.
- Your ability to communicate: you are a skilled communicator. You share your fascination and inspiration and display determination and discipline.
- Your capacity for critical reflection: You have an investigative and experimental mindset, interest in art and culture, and a specific interest in the profession.
Illustrative work and home assignment
For admission to the course, we feel it is important that you show work that you have completed during the past three years at home, at school or as part of a course. This can be both two-dimensional and three-dimensional work. Examples include drawings, paintings, photo series, animations, websites, furniture, clothing, posters, etc. Bring all the work that provides a representative picture of your creative activities. Also bring designs and sketches that provide insight into the creative process. Make sure that you can explain your work.
The entrance examination consists of two parts: a work assignment and an interview with the admissions committee.
For the work assignment, you work under supervision of lecturers and/or students of Illustration Design.
The admissions committee with whom you have your interview consists of lecturers and students from the course. During the interview, you present the home assignment and your work. You explain your work and talk about the ideas behind your work. The committee will ask about your motivation for illustration design and are also interested in your knowledge of visual arts and design. Your artistic ability and creativity are the determining factors for admission.
- Saturday 27 March 2021
- Saturday 10 April 2021
- Saturday 29 May 2021
Result and validity
You will receive a message notifying you if your application was successful within three working weeks. If you are rejected, we will try to explain the reasons why.
An admission is only valid for the course for which you have applied. If you wish to be admitted to a course or specialisation at a different location, you must apply for this separately. The admission is only valid for the academic year immediately following the entrance examination.