Application and admissionApplication and admission
Are you curious about the world of today and tomorrow? For the Interior Architecture course in Zwolle, ArtEZ is looking for ambitious students who want to grow to become spatial designers with their own vision. We consider it important that you are able to work independently and show initiative, are creative, have a sense of space and have an affinity with making and researching.
You can apply for the course via Studielink. Before you do so, please read the admission requirements and application procedure below.
If you want to apply for the Interior Architecture bachelor course in Zwolle, you must meet the following conditions:
- pre-university education (VWO), upper general secondary education (HAVO), secondary vocational education (MBO: level 4) or equivalent;
- This course is subject to language requirements;
- You must successfully complete an admission procedure.
If you are in any doubt as to whether you will be able to meet the diploma requirements at the start of the course, please get in touch with us before applying.
Applications for the Interior Architecture course should be made in Studielink. After you have applied in Studielink, the course will send you information about the entrance exam and an invitation to the exam. Entrance exams are held several times a year. You will also receive an e-mail containing a homework assignment and a link to an online questionnaire.
- Spatial work in your portfolio is important. Besides drawings, paintings, photo series, animations, websites, etc., that might include furniture, clothing or objects, for example.
- Always bring your own work (sketches, drawings, etc.) as well as the work you made for your course. We prefer work that you make at your own initiative.
- Hand sketches are an essential element of the course. So in preparation for your admission, make a spatial drawing (from observation) in a sketchbook every day.
- Above all, show the process leading up to a design and not just the end product.
- Make a selection of your work and present it in an organised and structured way.
The entrance exam consists of two rounds:
- Submitting your portfolio, homework assignments and motivation letter. You can prepare these at home. Within a few weeks, you will receive the assessment of your portfolio, homework assignments and motivation letter, and we will tell you whether or not we will be inviting you for the second round.
- Selection day in Zwolle.
During this day, you will work on two assignments at the academy: an assignment from observation and a spatial making assignment.
In addition, you will have an interview with the admissions committee, during which your portfolio, motivation and the homework assignment will also be discussed. The admissions committee consists of lecturers and students from the course. Bring your portfolio, homework assignments and your motivation letter with you. During the interview, you will be asked to explain your portfolio and talk about your work, for example how it originated and why you used certain techniques. Also bring your initial sketches and designs, which provide a good insight into the creative process. We are always very curious to know what inspired you.
We will test:
- Your creative ability: your ability to express yourself visually, to work based on observation and concept. We will also be looking for things like understanding of and feel for colour, form and material and the individuality expressed by your work.
- Your motivation and ability to communicate. How good are your communication skills? To what extent are you able to share your fascination and inspiration? How much decisiveness and discipline do you display?
- Your capacity for critical reflection. Here we will be looking for an inquiring and experimental attitude, curiosity and a genuine interest in contemporary art practice.
Result and validity
The admissions committee will advise the Board of Examiners whether or not you are eligible for admission. You will be notified of the result within three working weeks of the entrance exam. If you are rejected, we will try to explain the reasons why.
An admission is only valid for the course for which you have applied. If you want to audition for a course or specialisation at a different location, you must register for that separately. The admission is only valid for the academic year immediately following the entrance exam.
Sometimes, more candidates are eligible for admission than there are places available. In this case, you may be placed on a reserve list. During the interview on the selection day, we will ask you whether you would like to be considered for a place on the reserve list. As soon as a place becomes available, we will contact you.
Entrance exam dates
Wednesday 22 February 2023 - Portfolio due by Friday 10 February
Thursday 13 April 2023 - Portfolio due by Friday 31 March
Arrive for the entrance exam properly prepared
Are you thinking of applying for the Interior Architecture course at ArtEZ in Arnhem?
- If you wish, we can preview your portfolio on one of our open days.
- A visit to the ArtEZ finals will also give you a good impression of the course.
- You can also prepare for the entrance exam with the Art & Design preparatory course in Zwolle.
- Tip: immerse yourself in contemporary culture: go to exhibitions and read art and design magazines or art supplements in newspapers or websites, such as MetropolisM, Kunstbeeld, Frame, DAMn and Dezeen.