Fashion Design admission criteria
Students will be taught in English.
- Applicants must have completed VWO, HAVO, MBO (level 4) or the equivalent.
- Language requirements for this English-taught programme: IELTS 5.5
- Applicants must have successfully completed the entrance examination. During the entrance examination, we assess your chances of completing the course successfully.
Language requirements for this English-taught programme: IELTS 5.5 or the equivalent.
You will need to prove your language proficiency by handing in a certificate stating your level before 31 August.
If you need a residence permit to study at ArtEZ, the delivery deadline is 31 May!
- Your creative capacity: the capacity with which you express yourself visually, working conceptually and perceptively. You have an understanding and sense of colours, shapes and materials. Your work shows innovation and originality.
- Your communicative capacity: you have good communication skills, can share your interests and inspiration and you demonstrate decisiveness and discipline.
- Your capacity for critical reflection: you have an inquisitive and experimental attitude, a passion for art and culture and a keen interest in the field.
To be admitted to the Fashion Design course, we feel it is important that you possess the right kind of talent and have a passion for the field.
Portfolio and homework assignment
To be admitted to the course, we feel it is important that you are able to show the work you have done in the last three years, be it at home, at school or as part of a course. This can either be 2D or 3D work. Examples include drawings, paintings, photo series, animations, websites, furniture, clothing, posters, etc. Bring along designs and sketches that provide insight into your creative process. Make sure that you can explain your work effectively.
Aside from this, you will also complete a homework assignment for the entrance examination. This will be discussed during the admission day. You will receive information on the date that you are expected at the academy after enrolling for the course through Studielink. You will also receive a homework assignment from the course and a questionnaire (CV).
The admission day consists of:
- An interview to discuss your motivation and general interest.
- An assessment of your own work you have brought along. This need not exclusively be finished products but may include sketches and designs that provide insight into your creative and thought processes.
- Assessment of the homework assignment. This is a design assignment you will receive after enrolling through Studielink. Complete it at home and bring it along to the entrance examination.
Depending on the outcome of this interview you will receive an invitation to take part in the practical part of the entrance examination the following day from 10.00 to 16.00.
The admission committee with whom you have the interview will advise the examination committee on whether or not to admit you.
- 1st Entrance exam: 12 & 13 March 2021
- 2nd Entrance exam: 23 & 24 April 2021
Result and validity
You will be notified of whether you have been admitted within three working weeks. After the interview on the first day, if you are not invited to participate in the practical part of the examination, you will immediately be notified regarding why you have not gone through and possibly be given a suggestion regarding alternative studies. You will not be informed on the final selection after the second day.
Admission is only valid for the course for which you have enrolled. If you wish to apply for admission to a course or specialisation at another location you must register for this separately. The admission is only valid for the academic year directly following the entrance examination.