Join the Master Performance Practices
The ArtEZ Performance Practices programme welcomes independent and responsible artist researchers, wishing to advance further and more rigorously in their career in performance art, live art, contemporary theatre, conceptual choreography, experimental dance or visual art.
Once registered for ArtEZ University of the Arts via Studielink, you will have created an account. All further communication will be conducted through this account.
The mandatory documents for submission are:
- A motivation letter which shows the importance of developing your practice further, your rationale for pursuing a the Master Performance Practices, your engagement with the notion of the explicit Body in Performance, your ability to sustain your practice and simultaneously conduct largely independent study.
- A clearly formulated Artistic Research Proposal (max 1200 words), outlining your research question, aims and objectives, methods and its relation to the notion of the Body in Performance.
- Two letters of recommendation from professionals in the field. Please indicate contact details: name, role, professional address, email and phone number and make sure you upload scans of original signed letters.
- Curriculum Vitae with previous education and working practices.
- Links to videos of your work, website or weblogs, and photographs of your work (up to six links, but at least one).
- A copy of your BA diploma together with the transcript of grades. If these documents are not issued in Dutch, English or German, you need to include a certified translation of both the diploma and the transcript of grades (please upload all documents in one PDF). In case you are about to graduate and have not yet received your BA, please upload a document issued by your university stating the date of graduation, and your grades up to now. This document needs to be submitted before you can enter an audition.
- A copy of your passport or EU-ID (please make sure the date of validity has not expired). This document needs to be submitted before you can enter an audition.
- A copy of a proof of your English proficiency (see language requirements below).
Note: All diplomas will be carefully checked for their validity in the Dutch education system. Diplomas that are not issued under the European Credit system will be sent to Nuffic to be validated.
Language requirements apply to all ArtEZ Master courses. You will need to prove your language proficiency before the admission intervirew, by handing in a certificate stating your level of English before 31 August. If you need a residence permit to study at ArtEZ, the delivery deadline is 31 May.
For more information, please check the general language requirements for ArtEZ Master courses.
Once we have received your complete application, the Admissions Board (consisting of the Master Performance Practices lecturers and the Head of the Programme) will convene to assess your research proposal, professional practice, academic ability, experience, motivation and suitability for training. Following this meeting, the Admissions Board will shortlist applicants and invite them for the audition. The outcome of this shortlisting will be announced within two weeks after the deadline for applications.
The mandatory application documents can be uploaded independently at different times, but should be completed by the given deadline.
Our summer auditions will be held in an online format.
You will be asked to engage in an online cooperative working process with other applicants over the course of five days, you will have an individual interview via teams and you will be given an individual assignment.
Please make sure to reserve all five audition days.
The Admissions Board will be monitoring and assessing each applicant during the audition. Within two weeks after the last day of the audition, each applicant will be informed about the outcome, being either one of the following:
- accepted on conditions (e.g. graduating for BA, providing proof of English proficiency);
- on waiting list;
Admission is only valid for the course for which you have enrolled. If you wish to apply for admission to a course or specialisation at another location or programme, you must register for this separately. The admission is only valid for the academic year directly following the entrance examination.
To be able to actually start one of the Master Performance Practices tracks, you need to enrol for the ArtEZ Master Performance Practices programme via Studielink.
Dates for application
- Apllications are welcome from now until 6 June 23:30 CET.
- Auditions are online and only on invitation from 21-27 June (availability required on all days).
Please keep in mind that on top of your tuition fee, your travel costs to Arnhem and your accommodation during the residential periods, there will also be extra costs for travel and accommodation during the international residencies which are a compulsory part of the curriculum. These extra costs will be approximately €1.000 and will be invoices in two terms (approximately €500 in the first year and €500 in the second year of the course).