Language requirements English-language master course
You applied for an English-language master course.
Language requirements Master of Music*
- IELTS Academic 5.5 (IELTS Online will not be accepted)
- TOEFL iBT 70 (Home Edition will not be accepted)
- TOEIC 620/260 (listening & reading / speaking & writing)
- Cambridge B2 First - Grade C (scale 162-168)
*NB: for the master Music Therapy check the language requirements for other master courses.
Language requirement other master courses**
- IELTS Academic 6.0 (IELTS Online will not be accepted)
- TOEFL iBT 80 (Home Edition will not be accepted)
- TOEIC 670/290 (listening & reading / speaking & writing)
- Cambridge B2 First - Grade B (scale 173 - 175) / Cambridge B2 First - Grade C (scale 169 - 172)
**NB: are you applying for the Typography Workshop or DAI Art Praxis master courses? The English-language level for these courses will be tested for all students during the admission interview. In case of doubt will the above certificates be requested.
The Student Affairs Department will ask you to upload one of the above mentioned certificates to meet the language requirement. Any other type of certificates will not be accepted. Please note: most language certificate have a validity period. Check if your language certificate will be valid at the start of the academic year, if you already have one.
You can also meet the language requirement if:
- English is your mother tongue and English is the national language of the country where you completed your secondary education, or
- you have received education and obtained the diploma of a preparatory course taught in English at senior general secondary education (havo) or pre-university education level (vwo), or higher, or
- you have passed the final exam in English at senior general secondary education or pre-university education level (English at MBO-4 level is not sufficient***) in the Netherlands, Bonaire, St. Eustatius, Saba, Curaçao, St. Maarten or Aruba or
- your course is on the Diploma list (part of the Code of Conduct) and English was part of the curriculum.
***Have you been enrolled in an MBO-4 course and did you take English at a higher level (havo level)? You may meet the language requirements in this case. Check this document to see if your diploma meets the requirements and please contact the Student Affairs department at email@example.com if you have any questions.
When do you have to submit your language certificate?
As soon as we have received your application via Studielink, the Student Affairs Department will ask you to provide proof to show you meet the language requirements. Submit the information as early as possible in order to gain timely assurance about your registration. Please note: the language certificate must be received by the Student Affairs Department by 31 August at the latest. If you need a residence permit to study at ArtEZ, the deadline is earlier, namely 31 May. Please take into account the time required for the publication of the results. This is often longer than stated, especially in busy periods!
At most language testing centers, it is possible to do a modified test (for example related to visual impairment or dyslexia) by requesting this when planning your test. Make sure you do this in time, because there is often less availability for these tests.