Body, Mind and Communication skills
We understand that driven musicians work from a perspective of passion. Your instrument needs to be in top-condition to do so. At the same time, however, so does your body – physically, mentally and communicatively. You need to be in a healthy, sustainable and optimal condition to be able to perform artistically, without pain, discomfort or injuries.
For this reason, the ArtEZ skills lab Music&Health is responsible for your knowledge and mindfulness of your personal ‘instrument’ and for teaching you to use basic mental, physical and communicative skills. For example: healthy studying, dealing with stress, protecting your ears, physical preparation and restorative exercises, healthy use of voice, and life style. We offer a regular programme to all students, as well as electives for those who would like to learn more in smaller groups.
Music & Health all year round
- During an introductory meeting, you learn learn about the products and services offered by the Music & Health desk.
- Practical skills are trained in workshops or during project days.
- In Music & Health elective courses, you learn more about Body (such as Dispokinesis, Mensendieck, Feldenkrais, Alexander technique), Mind (haptonomy, Mental Practice) and Communication (Lichtenberg, speech therapy) techniques, either individually or in groups.
- Additional screenings are available periodically, such as phonetography (vocal range profile measurements) and audiometry (hearing acuity measurements). Customised earplugs are available at a discount.
- Theme nights are organised from time to time, some of them in cooperation with external partners.
- There is a database with addresses, links and resources for more background information.
At the Music & Health Office Window, you can ask for individual advice or be referred to a specialised physician. ArtEZ Music&Health is connected to the NVDMG (Dutch Association for Dance and Music Medicine), and to the NCPA (National Centre Performing Arts).
Follow Music & Health on Facebook