Music & Health
After all, professional musicians are like top-class sportspeople in a way. You have to get the best out of yourself, which is only possible if you are physically and mentally in balance with your instrument and the world around you. A lack of balance may cause complaints, which become injuries if you ignore them. At the same time, complaints are indications that you need to take care of your body in order to improve the way you play music.
The Music & Health skills lab helps you in all these areas and more. The objective is to play or sing better, more beautifully, more freely and with greater resilience. You will also learn from us how you can share this knowledge.
It goes without saying that you need a good instrument to perform well. Singers have their voice as their instrument, while for other musicians the body merges with their instrument. Posture is part of the technique. Music & Health not only helps you use your body to the best effect for your technique, but also teaches you to perform to the best of your ability mentally speaking.
Music & Health always available
- Music & Health is part of the curriculum for all academy of music programmes. There are electives or workshops in the three domains of Music & Health: body, mind and communication. These include Mensendieck, Alexander Technique, Dispokinesis, Yoga, Pilates, mindfulness, mental fitness and haptotherapy, speech therapy and ear fitness.
- Outside the curriculum we offer screenings where you can get information on hearing sensitivity, vocal range and sit-stand playing posture. This also includes a discount when purchasing custom earplugs.
- The Music & Health desk can help you with any individual questions you may have. You can, for example, have an action plan drawn up regarding your occupational health. You can get advice on referral to a specialist. You can also get information about the external network connected with Music & Health. We partner with the Saxion and Windesheim universities of applied sciences and Comfoor Horen, and we are a member of the Nederlandse Vereniging voor Dans- en Muziekgeneeskunde (NVDMG). In addition, ArtEZ chairs the National Centre of Performing Arts (NCPA)
A health pyramid
Music & Health is practical. We provide our assistance based on a question. We approach the health of ArtEZ students as a pyramid.
- The broad foundation is your lifestyle. This includes exercise, nutrition, relaxation, rest and sleep, identifying obstacles in your personal life, the presence of a social safety net and sensible use of social media.
- As an active musician, your life as a future music professional will be determined by auditions, performances, travel, competition, disappointments, successes and a lot of study. Stress may have an inhibitory effect, but if you approach it realistically it can also be helpful. Approaching your studies responsibly (in terms of both quality and quantity) and taking breaks is part of being a professional. Studying is something you need to learn!
- The middle part of the pyramid is formed by areas of attention specific to your instrument. What physical requirements are involved in singing, string instruments or percussion, for example? How can you maintain and improve your health in that area?
- At the top of the pyramid are aspects related to your health and your personal wishes. Is there a weak point somewhere in your body, do you have an allergy or a mental barrier? It can help to exchange ideas and formulate points to consider.
Knowledge of your physical and mental capabilities helps you to make music better, more beautifully and more freely, and to prevent complaints.
Continuing with Music & Health
Knowledge about Music & Health wants be passed on. After you graduate you will, to a greater or lesser extent, have to coach and lecture and have to deal with colleagues and audiences. For this, you can use the experience, knowledge and skills gained at Music & Health.
But it doesn't end there. You can develop your skills by choosing a study component/minor that will allow you to advance as a music graduate with competencies in the field of Music & Health. You will follow a wider range of lessons and design a musical tool that is innovative within Music & Health.
You decide for yourself whether you only use Music & Health functionally for your own music practice or whether you delve deeper into the subject matter and do more with it. Music & Health is part of the foundation of every musician. To enjoy making music for a lifetime requires good health.
Would you like to know more about the ArtEZ Music&Health program as a passer-by or internal ArtEZ participant?
Ask your question to the Music & Health Desk
Follow Music & Health on Facebook