If you wish to apply for the Fine Art bachelor course, you must meet the following conditions:
- Completion of pre-university education (VWO), upper general secondary education (HAVO), secondary vocational education (MBO: level 4), or foreign equivalent level of education.
- Proficiency in the English language, as this course is conducted in English: language requirements.
- Successful completion of our admission procedure.
If you are uncertain about meeting the diploma requirements at the course's outset, please contact Student Affairs before submitting your application.
Applications for the BEAR Fine Art course in Arnhem can be submitted through Studielink. Once your application is received, you will receive an email containing a link to an online questionnaire. After completing the questionnaire, you will be able to download our Home Assignment, which comprises six mandatory tasks, and instructions for submitting your Portfolio (with a maximum of 30 pages).
You will also receive information regarding the online or on-site entrance examination date, along with instructions for uploading the Home Assignments and Portfolio via OSIRIS. If you wish to request an alternative entrance exam date, please send an email to toelatingenArtDesign.Arnhem@ArtEZ.nl
Apply via Studielink
- 28 November 2023 (online) – upload Portfolio and Home Assignment no later than Tuesday, November 21
- 20 February 2024 (online) – upload Portfolio and Home Assignment no later than Tuesday, February 13
- 26 March 2024 (online) – upload Portfolio and Home Assignment no later than Tuesday, March 19 LAST OPTION for NON-EU applicants online.
- 23 April 2024 (on site – workshop maximum 20 candidates) – upload Portfolio and Home Assignment no later than Tuesday, April 16
- 14 May 2024 (on site – workshop maximum 20 candidates) – upload Portfolio and Home Assignment no later than Tuesday, May 7
- 25 June 2024 (online) – upload Portfolio and Home Assignment no later than Tuesday, June 18 ALL except NON-EU applicants.
On-site entrance examination
If you are taking our on-site entrance examination, we offer a chance to experience a day at BEAR while allowing our team to assess the compatibility between yourself and the department. The day typically starts at 10 AM with a brief introduction to BEAR. Between 10:30 AM and 4:00 PM, there will be a collective workshop facilitated by our tutors, with all necessary materials provided by BEAR. Subsequently, the workshop results will be presented to the admission teams.
Throughout the day, each applicant will have an individual interview with the admission team, lasting approximately 20 minutes. During the interview, we will discuss your motivation, Home Assignments, and Portfolio. It is essential to bring your Portfolio and Home Assignments in physical form. If your work is too large to bring with you, please provide comprehensive documentation. Applicants will only be considered if they have completed the Home Assignments, uploaded previously via OSIRIS.
Online entrance examination
If you are taking our online entrance examination, this will be conducted via a video call using Zoom. A timeslot and link to the Zoom meeting will be emailed to you after you have uploaded your Portfolio and Home assignments.
During this interview, you will present the six Home Assignments you have completed, as well as your Portfolio (maximum 30 pages). You will have the opportunity to explain your creative process and discuss the ideas behind your work. Your Portfolio can encompass various media, such as drawings, paintings, photos, videos, animations, websites, furniture, clothing, posters, etc. For videos, please include links for viewing. We encourage you to showcase not only finished artworks but also sketches of works in progress that provide insight into your thought process.
During the entrance examination, we will evaluate your suitability for the BEAR course, your creative ability, your understanding of form, your communication skills in English, your motivation, and your ability to critically reflect on what you make. We seek candidates with an inquisitive and experimental attitude, curiosity, and a genuine interest in contemporary art practice and research.
Result and validity
The admissions committee will provide a recommendation to the Board of Examiners regarding your admission status. You will receive notification of the result within three working weeks after the entrance examination.
Please note that admission is valid only for the specific course for which you applied. If you wish to audition for a course or specialization at a different location, you must register separately. Admission is valid for the academic year immediately following the entrance examination.
Preparation for the Entrance Examination
If you intend to enroll in the BEAR propaedeutic year immediately after secondary school, we strongly recommend completing the preparatory course in Art & Design in Arnhem first. This preparatory course will thoroughly prepare you for the entrance examination at BEAR Fine Art.
For further information on BEAR Fine Art's application and admission process, please visit our website.